Wednesday 17 December 2014

Lady Saw launches foundation

Dancehall artiste Lady Saw has revealed that she was abused as a child. As a result, she has launched a foundation geared at assisting abused women and children.
According to the Grammy award-winning deejay, who recently released a new album called Alter Ego, half of the proceeds from album sales will go towards the Lady Saw Foundation.
"I had the idea for years now but my lawyer at the time went abroad to study; but I recently got another lawyer. The foundation will cater to women because I was abused a lot growing up as a child and as a teenager. It was a horrible experience and many persons are going through that experience," she said.
Lady Saw is also looking to put her vision in reality by opening a home-training centre for abused women.
"Many women tend to run away from their abuser, including my mom. So what I am doing is trying to find a safe haven for them. I have located a property in St Mary with a building that resembles a factory. I want to purchase the property and use it as a centre for abused women. I also want one of those centres to be in Kingston. I am probably way ahead of myself right now because I am so passionate, but we have to start somewhere," she said.
Toy drive
The deejay also spearheaded a toy drive in the US recently, where she collected seven barrels of toys in collaboration with media personality Ragashanti.
"I also visited a children's home recently with my publicist, and spent some time with some disenchanted kids, and I was really touched, so I decided to get the toys, pampers and sheets for them as well," she said.
Victim of abuse
The deejay who has an adopted daughter disclosed that her daughter was also a victim of abuse during her formative years. Lady Saw says she found solace in the home of good Samaritans and she wants to extend the courtesy to others.
"I remember having to sleep at friends house and sleeping under the bed to hide from my abuser when I was growing up, and people helped me. So I want to give back. I don't want people to think that this is about publicity, because I am not that type of person. I want to create awareness about the issue and state the role I want to play," she said.
Lady Saw's album features inter-national acts UB40, Flo Rida, Estelle and Beres Hammond. The collaboration with Beres is called She Has Changed and is an effort which will eventually become the title track for the Lady Saw Foundation's website and initiative.
The deejay was recently featured on several international media outlets including Hip Hop Weekly, Sways Universe, 50 Cent's thisIs50.com, P Diddy's Revolt TV and November's edition of the Fader magazine.
Alter Ego was independently produced by Lady Saw's label, Diva Records, and distributed by VP Records. The effort is currently number six on the iTunes reggae chart.
The album is not explicit and can be sold to all fans of music. The effort sees the deejay dabbling in gospel, reggae, jazz, dancehall and hip hop.
The deejay is also seeking contribution from entities or good Samaritans who want to contribute to her foundation via ladysawfoundation@gmail.com. Information for the foundation will be uploaded on her websitesladysawfoundation.org and ladysaw.com. Both sites will be fully active by next week.

No comments: