Thursday 24 October 2013

Ke$ha Talks Vaginal Exorcism and Dr. Luke Controversy


If you didn't watch the first season of Ke$ha's MTV docu-series, My Crazy Beautiful Life, here's a short overview of what you missed: Ke$ha was sad about her ex-boyfriend Harold. She drank a lot of whiskey, and her own pee. She ate a penis-shaped blintz with gusto. She lost her voice but then got it back. She had special intimate time with several bearded guys, including a Brazilian named Tarzan and a Ke$ha tour roadie named Baby Spoon. She helped baby lions in the Galapagos. Alice Cooper and Pauly Shore made cameos for some reason. Her friend Savannah got corn rows. She stole a bottle of Stoli and drank it and then did a robot dance on a hotel roof.
Season two, which premieres on MTV next Wednesday, October 30th, carries out the same Ke$ha traditions. In the first episode -- spoiler alert, if you're one of those My Crazy Beautiful Life super-fans -- she talks about her one night stand with a ghost, who she admits was "kind of a ho." After getting a ghost meter, she makes this startling discovery. "Either my vagina is haunted," she says, "or I'm pregnant with a ghost baby." She has a ghost exorcism, which she discussed on Jimmy Kimmel last week, which prompts her to say things on the show like "You do not have permission to be here! Get out of my vagina!" 
Rolling Stone spoke with Ke$ha about her allegedly haunted vagina, the Illuminati, her continuing fondness of serial killers, and more.
In just the first 30 seconds of this season's My Crazy Beautiful Life, we see your mom dressed like a penis. Does that sum up your relationship with her?In so many ways, yes. She can be kind of a dick, but she's also the funniest human being on the planet. She's part of my live show and so much a part of my life. I bring her all over the world.
Is she a stage mom?No. It's minimally maternal. She's mostly comic relief.
Does the apple not fall far from the tree? Does she share your . . . eccentricities?Oh yeah, she's batshit crazy.
In what way? I mean, besides the penis costume.We write some of my favorite music together, and come up with the wildest ideas. Not only have we co-written some of my most vulnerable songs, we've also written some of the weirdest. She helped me write a song about dismembering and eating men.
"Cannibal?"Right. I feel like she knows me really, really well. We can go to both extremes. In the vulnerable sense and the batshit crazy sense.
How do you end up writing a song about cannibalism with your mom? Did she come up with the idea, or did you?I don't really remember. All I remember is that once we got it started, it was the funnest song to write, because I'm obsessed with serial killers. I read about them, I study them, I can't get enough.
Anyone in particular?I'm obsessed with Jeffrey Dahmer. When we wrote "Cannibal," I really wanted to include his name. Make a reference to him somewhere in the lyrics. Which people I guess were pissed off about.
I can't imagine why.Whatever. I'm so proud of that one.
Your last few videos, "Die Young" and "Crazy Kids," featured a lot of Illuminati and occult imagery, with the inverted crosses and pentagrams and whatnot. There have even been online conspiracy theories that you're working for the Illuminati.It's so much worse than they think. I'm really the leader of the Illuminati. That's true.
Thank you for finally admitting it.I try to be straight forward.
But seriously, the eyeball on your hand? Are you not trying to brainwash kids into thinking the Illuminati is cool?Well actually, the eye on my hand is now a tattoo. So there's no getting away from that one. It is what it is.
Your videos aside, what's the most occult thing you've ever done?When I spend time at my house, it can get pretty occulty. I'll have people put on robes, and I have an entire room in my house devoted to glitter. Sometimes I'll just fill it up like a bathtub. There's also a room that's just dedicated to painting. So like, you can roll around on the floor, you can be naked, you can paint your body, whatever you want.
And this seems like occult behavior to you?Oh, and I also live in the woods. When it gets really late, we just run through the woods, screaming like banshees, covered in paint and glitter. This happens whenever I throw a party. Like, shit just gets out of control.
It's becoming very clear that you have nothing whatsoever to do with the Illuminati.[Laughs.] What gave me away?
Another thing we learned from your show; whatever spectral being had been inhabiting your vagina is now gone. So, congratulations, I guess.Thank you! Yes, my dry spell is over. It's no longer cock-blocking me.
The ghost in your vagina was inhibiting your sex life?I know it sounds like the most ridiculous story, but I went to my healer that I go to whenever I'm at home, and she told me that because of my job, I exude energy. I exude light as a profession. You're on stage and you're just exuding.
And therefore . . . where are you going with this?Because I exude energy, dead entities cling to me. I had a spirit follow me into my house. You see it in the show. Things were flying off the shelf. That's not bullshit, that really happened. So my healer, she had to literally give me an exorcism. I know that sounds crazy, but it worked.
You kicked the camera crew out.I had to. She was afraid the entities would cling on to someone else. It was a whole thing.
What's involved in a vaginal exorcism? What did we not see?There's a lot of screaming and grabbing energies and she was talking in tongues. She was speaking Latin or something, I'm not really sure. It was definitely another language, and she was making all sorts of crazy noises. At one point she started choking.
The ghost or . . .?No, she was choking. Like she couldn't breathe. It was super intense. I know you don't believe me.
I've just never heard of an exorcism directed towards a specific body part.I'm not 100% sure it was just in my vagina.
You're not?It was like . . . in my body, you know? So why not assume it's in my vagina because that's funnier.
Did you read Sinead O'Connor's open letter to Miley Cyrus?No. Actually, this past week I've been stuck in Alaska, in a storm with no internet connection. I got back late last night. I heard about it, but I also don't really read that kind of stuff, because I know how, no offense, media guys like to spin people against each other.
Can I read some of the letter to you?Sure.
"The music business doesn't give a shit about you, or any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think its what you wanted."Okay. So she's saying...?
If you're a young woman allowing your sexuality to be bought and sold as a commodity, you're essentially a prostitute.Then color me a prostitute. I think that every woman who works out and prances around onstage will try to show all the hard work they've been doing. I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a picture with your butthole out and posting it on Instagram, as long as it looks good.
So from your perspective, flaunt it if you've got it?If you like it, check it out. If you don't, don't. The rest is not my problem. I can't speak for anybody else. But for me, I think it's funny. I do these little silly things and then people get their panties in a wad. It's really hilarious.
There's an online petition trying to emancipate you from your longtime producer, Dr. Luke. Have you seen it?I have, yeah.
They have over 3300 signatures now. Their argument is that Dr. Luke, and I'm quoting them here, is "controlling Ke$ha like a puppet." Is this a petition you support?I feel like my fans are really protective of me. They just want to see me grow as an artist, which I agree with. Hopefully in the future, I'll be in a position where I can put out a ballad or a more vulnerable song.
You don't have any creative control now?Not really. What's been put out as singles have just perpetuated a particular image that may or may not be entirely accurate. I'd like to show the world other sides of my personality. I don't want to just continue putting out the same song and becoming a parody myself. I have so much more to offer than that and I can't wait till the world really gets to hear that on the radio.

No comments: