Monday 21 July 2014

Kanye West Details New Album, Praises Drake as Most Popular Rapper

"I got a new song that's so good that the album has to be balanced against it," 
Kanye West hopes to put out the follow-up album to Yeezus "most likely in September," but possibly in October or November. Or at least that's what he told GQ a little over a week after his late-May wedding to Kim Kardashian. The rapper said that he did have, however, a single, titled "All Day," that he had hoped to put out "in the next couple of weeks, just to have something up and running."

"I was thinking [the record] could somehow come out in June, like Yeezus, and just kill it for the summer," he said. "But then I'm like, I have to work on Adidas and be with my child." Later in the interview, West said that it took nine months to make an album, though he did not indicate where he was in the process and, he added, things change.
At the time of the interview, he said he was planning on scrapping the direction he had been taking on the new record. In that form, the album was to be made up of "beautiful songs" that would tell the world, in West's words, "Hey, I'm a great musician. I make these beautiful songs, and they have all this meaning, and nobody can make anything that means this much." But the rapper said that he found a new sound.
"I got a new song that's so good that the album has to be balanced against it," West said. "This song is a song that can be in the club like 'Don't Like' or 'Niggas in Paris.'"
Regarding "All Day," West said that it contained verses he felt Jay Z would say even though West's Watch the Throne compatriot is not present on the track. "I say, 'All day, nigga, it's Ye, nigga,'" West said. "'Shopping for the winter, it's just May, nigga. Ball so hard, man, this shit cray, nigga. You ain't getting money unless you got eight figures.' Right? Jay would have said that. And then eventually I would have came in with, like, whatever I come in with. But the balance of a meal is that when people walk in, they want water first. People definitely weren't getting water first on Yeezus."
Regarding Yeezus, the rapper said that a year later he felt like it was the beginning of a new era of music. "It was all new rules," he said. "It just broke every rule possible. None of the ideas were popular ideas. Even 'Bound 2,' when the video came out, I think people's apprehension – I mean, it's the same as any other Kanye West video." Though he said he would have done at least one thing differently with the clip, which Seth Rogen and James Franco later parodied. "I would have just liked to have had more nudity in it," he said. "I just want to do crazy, colorful shit like that that has more nudity."
One thing he's still especially proud of on Yeezus was the song "New Slaves," the second verse of which he told GQ was still "the best rap verse of all time." Specifically, he said, "it's the Coming to America or Anchorman of a verse: You know, it's got the funny shit. It's got the 'antagonization.' It's got patterns. It's got social and political consciousness. It's got struggle. It's got bravado. It's everything that a rap verse is supposed to be."
West also said he was upset that producer Rick Rubin had said that he had rapped half of the album's verses in two hours before getting on a plane. "I worked on [the verses] for, like, eight months," West said. "And the thing is, I had to finish the verses in order for the album to come out, and it's game time. I didn't freestyle those verses. That shit was worked and processed and 'Disneyfied' and everything.... I think he needs to clarify that to people – that I didn't make it up in that time. I just said them in that time."
Elsewhere in the article, West recognized Drake as having taken his place as the most popular man in rap. "He got last summer," West said. "And I'd never given it up till last summer." But that's not to say West hopes to wrest that title back. "It's a real question for me. Do I want to?"
After all, West is not only a father but now a married man. Regarding even wanting to get married, the rapper said he felt it was more inspiring to tie the knot than it is to say, "Hey, I like Kim." West explained that "love is infectious" and that "God is infectious" since "God [is] flowing through us and us being little baby creators and shit." Then he quoted the movie Step Brothers"never lose your dinosaur" line, explaining that he never lost his dinosaur even though he is now higher in the class system. Ultimately, the reason he wanted to get married was his love for Kim Kardashian.
"Kim is this girl who fucking turns me on," he said. "I love her. This is who I want to be next to and be around."

No comments: