Friday 22 August 2014

School Tries to Fire Teacher for Playing Beyonce's 'Drunk in Love' to Students

One Atlanta school district isn't a fan of surfboards.
The school district is seeking to remove a sixth grade teacher for playing Beyonce and Jay Z's steamy hit "Drunk in Love" in the classroom, presumably to assist with teaching...Sex appeal? How to grind on a chair without falling over? Creative pronunciation of the word 'Surfboard'?
Just in case you've forgotten why the song isn't the best choice for 11-year-olds, here are the opening lyrics: "I've been drinking, I've been drinking / I get filthy when that liquor get into me / I've been thinking, I've been thinking / Why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby?"
Take it away, school district document: "This song contained profanity, vulgarity, and sexually explicit lyrics,” reads the doc outlining the charges against sixth-grade teacher Nikki Turner, per Atlanta Journal Constitution. "This song is not [in] alignment with Teacher Keys Standard 9, Professionalism."
Hard to argue with that. To be fair, the school is also seeking to terminate Ms. Turner for a variety of performance-based reasons, not just the all-important "Inappropriate Beyonce Listening" clause. Bright side? Perhaps the teacher created a few more members of the Beygency in the process.

No comments: