Saturday 22 February 2014

Mixers heat up Terra Nova

TERRA Nova's Regency Bar & Lounge, St Andrew, was ablazing with excitement as it hosted Extreme Flaring at Wednesday's event.
The event, featured Americans Brad Kaplan and Mike Guthrie, flaring and mixologist instructors.
"The Regency has always been a strategic partner for our premium brands like Cîroc," Jomo Cato, head of marketing and innovation at Red Stripe, told Jamaica Observer.
Cato said the event wasn't just promotional but to add some excitement to the local scene.
Kaplan said he was using his visit to pass on some of his skills to local bartenders.
"It's all about making great cocktails first," said Kaplan.
Kaplan, who has a 10-year career in extreme bartending, said his sojourn started when he moved to Vancouver-based Extreme Bartending.
"It was typical. I was in school and bartended after classes to make money. Then I went to Extreme Bartending to learn some tricks. They contacted me sometime later. They were impressed by my skills and asked me to join them as an instructor," he said.
Kaplan, along with Mike Guthrie, ran through a plethora of pouring and bottle-throwing tricks that went over well with
the audience.

The finale was hot, literally, as Kaplan's signature move lit up the Regency's outside deck by blowing flames into the night air.
"It took me about a week to learn the fire-breathing trick. I practised in the shower with water until I got the
spray pattern right," said Kaplan.

No comments: